Are you looking to try out some earplugs? Maybe you want to upgrade your current pair? There’s a bewildering array of earplugs out there so we’ve put together some information to help you make a choice.
One thing we know from our research is that earplugs are very much a personal choice – what suits one person won’t suit everyone – our ear canals come in different shapes and sizes, our noise-reduction needs vary, some people want to stand out, others prefer to be discreet.
Our best advice is to give it a go. If you don’t like the first pair you try, pick another and see if it’s an improvement, and persevere until you find a style or brand that works for you.
Other hearing protection options
- Ear muffs – don’t laugh – we know some musicians who wear them during rehearsal! But most often you’ll find these in the garden, out in the shed or at the shooting range – they provide lots of attenuation so they’re suited to noisy power tools, garden equipment and firearms. They’re available at hardware stores and shooting suppliers.
- Mouldable earplugs made of silicon or wax. They come in small round balls that you knead and soften before pressing into your ear. They’re often marketed for swimming or sleeping, but they can also be used while you’re listening to music. It all depends on whether they work for you. Find them at pharmacies or online, brands include: Mack’s Silicone Earplugs and Earjobs Comfy Wax.
Filtered Earplugs – The HEARsmart Guide
If you’re looking for an affordable option for protecting your hearing while enjoying your music, your best bet will be filtered earplugs. Over the past few years, there’s been some exciting advances in this area, and there’s now a wide range to choose from. We’ve put together a comprehensive list of filtered earplugs from around the world. Most are readily available in Australia, but others you’ll have to track down from overseas.
In the long-term our aim is to road-test as many of these earplugs as we can to give you an idea of how they perform out in the real world, but for now check out our list and do some road testing of your own!
‘Christmas Tree’ Style Filtered Earplugs
- 3M: ClearEar earplugs
- Alpine: MusicSafe Classic earplugs, MusicSafePro earplugs or PartyPlugs
- DownBeats: Original or Long stem
- Dynamic Ear Company: Crescendo earplugs come in seven styles: DJ, Dance, Music, Vocals, Woodwind, Drummer or Guitar
- EarPeace: Original EarPeace or EarPeace HD
- EarSonics: Earpad universel
- Elacin: Elacin Universal ST24 earplugs
- Etymotic: ETY high-fidelity earplugs, ER20XS high-fidelity earplugs or ER20XS high-fidelity earplugs universal fit
- Health Enterprises Inc: ACU-LIFE music earplugs or “impact noise reducers”
- Hearos: Original high fidelity earplugs, New high fidelity earplugs (for smaller ears) or RocknRoll earplugs
- Mack’s: HearPlugs High Fidelity Musician’s Ear Plugs
- Noizezz: Universal earplugs, Universal music earplugs or Plug and Play
- NoNoise: Music hearing protectors
- Pluggerz: All-fit music earplugs
- Vater: Percussion earplugs
- Westone: TRU recreational earplugs, TRU professional WM16 earplugs or TRU professional WM25 earplugs.
Other Types of Filtered Earplugs